Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career as an Educational Assistant (EA) with the Simcoe County District School Board (SCDSB).
Applicants will be considered for the Supply Educational Assistant List. See below for "Definitions" of Casual Employee (Supply).
The SCDSB is hiring applicants with an interest in providing quality services and programming to students across Simcoe County. To support all students to achieve success and reach their potential, the board is seeking Educational Assistants who have experience working with children and youth in a wide variety of settings, including schools and/or in the community. Educational Assistants support students with variety of strengths and needs. Ideally, applicants should be flexible, willing to take on a variety of roles and able to attend to the various needs of our students which include toileting, lifting, feeding and physical intervention.
Educational Assistants will:
- Assist students with personal and medical care in accordance with board policies/procedures/Special Education Plan which may include administration of medication, feeding, dressing, toileting, hygiene, assistance with mobility, lifting and positioning.
- Supervise and assist individuals or groups of students during classroom activities, recess, lunch, field trips, excursions, bus and/or taxi arrivals and other situations as required.
- Assist in the preparation or modification of programs and/or materials.
- Provide direct intervention, in accordance with student’s IEP and Safety Plan, in managing behavioural and immediate safety needs of students using the principles of Behaviour Management Systems (BMS).
- Assist with ongoing assessment of student programs and writing daily anecdotal reports and records as required.
- Attend meetings and participate in professional development sessions as required.
- Support students in community integration and work placements.
- Work as an active member of the school team to ensure the safety and success of all students.
- Working as a supply or temporary Educational Assistant will provide experience in our schools, however it is not a prerequisite to being hired into a permanent position.
- School operational hours could start as early as 7:30 a.m. and end as late as 4:30 p.m. The board highly recommends that employees accept as many shifts as possible throughout the year to encourage advancement within the board.
- To learn more visit: Join our team - educational assistant - Simcoe County District School Board (scdsb.on.ca)
- Casual Employee (Supply): Defined as an employee who works on a daily supply basis, to replace daily absences for up to 11 days.
- Short Term Temporary Employee (Temporary): Defined as an employee in a short-term temporary assignment which is 12 or more consecutive days in the same term assignment. Temporary staff are generally replacing a permanent employee. Eligible for the sick leave plan after 12 days.
- Long Term Temporary Occasional Employees (LTO): Defined as an employee in a long-term occasional temporary posted position of 6 months or greater. Temporary staff are generally replacing a permanent employee who is absent on an approved leave of absence (e.g. pregnancy, parental, educational or medical leave). Eligible for the benefit plan after 4 months.
- Permanent Employees: Defined as permanent full-time (35 hours weekly) or part-time permanent staff. Entitled to benefit and sick leave plan upon hire.
** All fees for the application process are covered by the Simcoe County District School Board. **
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position and advise that ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. We ask that you do not contact Human Resources for your application verification.
The Simcoe County District School Board is committed to equitable hiring practices that provide equal opportunities for all applicants to be successful. We are committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion. In support of our Strategic Priorities, we are seeking members who reflect diverse identities, lived experiences and perspectives to assist the Board in reflecting the community we serve. Our equitable hiring initiative is consistent with the Ontario Human Rights Code to ensure that our hiring practices remain equitable to candidates from groups protected by the prohibited grounds under the Code.
New hires to the Simcoe County District School Board will be required to submit a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) that is satisfactory to the Board prior to beginning employment. All new employees will be required to complete mandatory training modules with the Board prior to their first day of employment. All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position; however, only those who have been shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Education, Experience and Qualifications:
Post-secondary diploma or degree.
Training in de-escalation strategies (including BMS certification) and lifting/transferring will be provided.
Proficient verbal and written communication, interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and the ability to work as a member of an interdisciplinary team are required.
*NEW* BROADER QUALIFICATIONS
AS A TEMPORARY MEASURE TO FACILITATE POST-PANDEMIC RECRUITMENT, THE SCDSB WILL ACCEPT APPLICATIONS FROM CANDIDATES WITH ANY TWO (2) YEAR DIPLOMA FROM A MINISTRY-ACCREDITED COLLEGE, AND ANY THREE (3) YEAR DEGREE FROM A MINISTRY-ACCREDITED UNIVERSITY, OR A COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE.
APPLICANTS ARE THANKED FOR ANSWERING QUESTIONS IN THIS POSTING REGARDING THEIR EXPERIENCE.