DEPARTMENT/PROGRAM: All Programs
REPORTS TO: Leadership Team
PURPOSE: As a Housing Focused General Support Worker, you will be supporting the respective programs. This role may involve multiple job descriptions, working at some or all locations. This role may include the following descriptions:
- Housing Focused Shelter Support
- Housing Stability Support Worker
- Outreach Support Worker
The Busby Centre is a community-based agency that believes in the Housing First philosophies and practices. We strive to improve the quality of life for people who are struggling with chronic homelessness, significant mental health issues and substance misuse. Our programs provide individuals a place to stay until they are housed, transitional housing until they can find permanent stable housing, 24/7 staff support, and a variety of on-site services to help people experiencing or at risk of experiencing homelessness.
Please note: This is a PERMANENT contract, subject to yearly renewal based on employee performance and the availability of sufficient program funding. FULLTIME, PARTTIME & CASUAL positions available.
LOCATION: Mulcaster Street, Barrie (Barrie Shelter), Beachwood Road, Collingwood (South Georgian Bay Shelter), Essa Road, Barrie (Lucy’s Place Supportive Housing), Tiffin Street, Barrie (Paula’s Place Supportive Housing) & the community at large.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY:
All employees are responsible for carrying out work in a way that does not adversely affect their own health and safety and that of others. All employees are expected to learn, understand, and adhere to the Busby Centre’s health and safety policies and procedures and keep up to date on any changes, particularly as it relates to new/emerging information related to infection prevention and control.
• Diploma or degree in social services related field or equivalent relevant experience.
o Willing to consider individuals in progress of obtaining the same.
• Excellent administrative skills including case management and computer use.
o Experience using and working knowledge of HIFIS an asset.
• Lived experience of homelessness and/or experience working with homeless and/or marginalized individuals is an asset.
• Demonstrated competence to work with challenging behaviour and stressful situations and possess effective conflict and crisis management skills.
• Knowledge of current social issues related to homelessness, mental illness and substance use preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and ability to set effective personal boundaries with both clients and co-workers.
• Proven ability to problem-solve, multi-task and work both independently and as an effective team member.
• Certification or ability to become certified as soon as possible in NVCI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention) and Level C First Aid and CPR, including working knowledge of AED is required.
• Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check) required.
• For overnight shift:
- Able and willing to work overnight (awake).
Contract, starting as soon as possible. The available positions may entail a flexible schedule, encompassing day, evening and night shifts or a combination of all, as well as weekday and weekend shifts. This position works in a direct capacity with vulnerable individuals experiencing a myriad of challenges.
WAGE: Starting at $22.75
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your resume and a cover letter explaining what makes you a great candidate for this position. Please send to Human Resources at email@example.com. Please quote “Housing Focused General Support Worker” in the subject line of your email. The Busby Centre is a progressive work environment committed to the principle of employment equity, to respecting diversity and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and organizational needs.