DEPARTMENT/PROGRAM: Emergency Shelter & Social Service HUB
REPORTS TO: Leadership Team
PURPOSE: Busby Centre provides safe, respectful, and welcoming overnight accommodation and daytime drop-in services, meals and access to housing focused supports to those experiencing or at-risk of experiencing homelessness and/or food insecurity in the city of Barrie and South Georgian Bay.
The Busby Centre is a community-based agency that believes in the Housing First philosophies and practices. We strive to improve the quality of life for people who are struggling with chronic homelessness, significant mental health issues and substance misuse. Our program provides individuals a place to stay and staff support 24/7, along with a variety of on-site services to help people experiencing homelessness transition to housing and successfully stay housed.
We are currently seeking individuals to assist in the seamless functioning of our housing-focused programming throughout the duration of the operating day. We are hiring Housing Focused Case Managers for shifts including days, evenings and overnight, including weekends. The position would work in our Emergency Shelter program and our Social Service HUB, in a supportive role to assist participants in feeling that they belong to and are engaged in the community.
Please note: This is a PERMANENT contract, subject to yearly renewal based on employee performance and the availability of sufficient program funding. FULLTIME and PARTTIME positions available.
LOCATION: 88 Mulcaster Street, Barrie (Barrie Shelter) & 9656 Beachwood Road, Collingwood (South Georgian Bay Shelter)
•Brief Case Management, In-reach, and Data Management:
o Assess admissibility of program participants through a diversion lens, while maintaining appropriate documentation and records.
o Maintain and update daily records of participant interactions in a timely manner through HIFIS (Homeless Individuals and Families Identification Services).
• Site and Program Supervision within the team model:
o Oversee program operations, supervise volunteers, model Busby Centre policies/procedures and provide oversight to support staff for housing-focused activities/tasks in support of participants.
• Collaboration and Communication with Coworkers, Supervisor and Volunteers
o Maintain open and appropriate communication with all staff, volunteers, and managers, and utilize available support and supervision, as necessary.
• Carry out daily cleaning routine and protocols: o Perform routine cleaning, laundry, and garbage duties daily, in adherence to proper health and safety protocols.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY:
All employees are responsible for carrying out work in a way that does not adversely affect their own health and safety and that of others. All employees are expected to learn, understand, and adhere to the Busby Centre’s health and safety policies and procedures and keep up to date on any changes, particularly as it relates to new/emerging information related to infection prevention and control.
• Diploma or degree in social services related field along with relevant experience.
o Willing to consider individuals in progress of obtaining the same.
• Excellent administrative skills including case management and computer use.
o Experience using and working knowledge of HIFIS an asset.
• Lived experience of homelessness and/or experience working with homeless and/or marginalized individuals is an asset.
• Demonstrated competence to work with challenging behaviour and stressful situations and possess effective conflict and crisis management skills.
• Knowledge of current social issues related to homelessness, mental illness and substance use preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and ability to set effective personal boundaries with both clients and co-workers.
• Proven ability to problem-solve, multi-task and work both independently and as an effective team member.
• Certification or ability to become certified as soon as possible in NVCI (Non-Violent Crisis Intervention) and Level C First Aid and CPR, including working knowledge of AED is required.
• Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check) required.
• Able and willing to work overnight (awake).
Contract, starting as soon as possible. The available positions may entail a flexible schedule, encompassing day, evening and night shifts or a combination of all, as well as weekday and weekend shifts. This position works in a direct capacity with vulnerable individuals experiencing a myriad of challenges.
WAGE: $23.50 - 25.50
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your resume and a cover letter explaining what makes you a great candidate for this position. Please send to Human Resources at email@example.com. Please quote “Housing Focused Shelter Case Manager” in the subject line of your email. The Busby Centre is a progressive work environment committed to the principle of employment equity, to respecting diversity and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and organizational needs.